RIPTA and RIDOT expand Beat Traffic, Try Transit campaignPosted:
RIPTA AND RIDOT EXPAND "BEAT TRAFFIC, TRY TRANSIT" CAMPAIGN IN N. SMITHFIELD BEGINNING TUESDAY, JANUARY 21, 2014
The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) and the Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) announced today the expansion of their "Beat Traffic, Try Transit" campaign to include two new Park-N-Ride lots in North Smithfield beginning Tuesday, January 21, 2014.
Earlier in December 2013, RIPTA staff surveyed passengers in order to better understand when people need to travel, and what type of services they desire. Based on their feedback, RIPTA added two new Park-N-Ride lots in North Smithfield located at Slatersville Plaza (Brigido's Market) and Branch Village.
The campaign, launched in July 2013, is designed to ease traffic congestion on the Interstate through Providence during peak travel times. Commuters can take advantage of discounted bus fares from select Park n' Ride lots across the state as well as free parking at select commuter rail stations. "Beat Traffic, Try Transit" will run now through Friday, June 27, 2014.
Commuters will have the option of using RIPTA's fixed-route service at 50 percent off the regular rate or parking for free at Wickford Junction and T.F. Green Train Stations. The promotion is available Monday through Friday only.
Beat Traffic, Try Transit: RIPTA Park n' Ride Service
RIPTA has designated Park n' Ride lots that not only provide free parking, but also allow any commuter to purchase a round trip ticket for just $2.00, half the cost of a regular fare. Upon boarding the bus, passengers will be required to ask the driver for a "Beat Traffic One Day" pass.* This One Day pass entitles commuters to take the bus to Providence and back for only $2.00.
Participating Park n' Ride lots are as follows:
• NEW TRIP! #59X Slatersville Plaza (Brigido's Market)
• NEW TRIP! #59X Branch Village
• #95X Westerly Train Station
• #60 Barrington White Church
• #60 Police Cove
• #60 Newport Gateway (with receipt from Newport Visitors Center Public Parking Garage)
• #60 Portsmouth Boyds Lane
• #60 Warren Franklin and Main St.
• #34 East Providence Taunton Ave.
• #9 Smithfield (Rte 44) RiteAid lot
• #10X Scituate Chopmist Hill
• #21 Cranston (Midway Ave/Garden City)
• #66 East Greenwich (Route 2 and 4)
• #14 East Greenwich (First and Main)
• #95X Hopkinton (Exit 1)
• #54 Lincoln Mall
• #66 North Kingstown (Route 2 and 102/Fiddlesticks)
• #14 North Kingstown (Route 138 and 1A)
• #95X Richmond (Exit 3)
• #66 South Kingstown (at Tower Hill)
• #66 South Kingstown (at Wakefield Mall)
• #8 Warwick (Route 117)
• #8 Warwick (Greenwood Community Church)
• #95X West Greenwich (Exit 7)
• #66 West Kingston (Route 2 and 138)
• #12X West Warwick (Arctic/Crompton)
• #54 Woonsocket Park Square
Beat Traffic, Try Transit: Commuter Rail Service
Passenger rail commuters can park their vehicle at the Wickford Junction or T.F. Green indoor parking facilities for free on any weekday and take the MBTA commuter rail to work or school (MBTA fare not included). Simply drive into the parking garage and pull a ticket to get in. In the evening, use the same ticket to exit the garage (restrictions apply).
RIPTA and RIDOT are committed to reducing single occupancy vehicle travel on our roadways by offering money saving commuting options that have positive impacts on our quality of life in Rhode Island.
*Farebox can accept cash denominations up to $20. No cash returns from driver; only change cards good for future rides will be issued.
For more information, please call 401-784-9500 ext. 121 or visit www.tryRItransit.com