Mayor Taveras Announces ‘Earth Day Spring Cleaning’ on Saturday, April 26, 2014
Celebration will clean up neighborhoods throughout Providence, celebrate community groups dedicated to parks and public spaces
– The City of Providence will celebrate Earth Day on Saturday, April 26, 2014.
Providence Earth Day Spring Cleaning 2014 is dedicated to cleaning up neighborhoods and parks throughout the city and celebrating the community groups that make Providence’s public spaces vibrant. The second annual citywide celebration of Earth Day will highlight the important role that volunteer groups have in making the city’s parks and neighborhoods great places to play, gather and explore.
From 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., volunteers can join one of 39 community groups cleaning up a park, planting trees or beautifying a neighborhood by registering at www.providenceparks.org
. Volunteers will receive a light brunch, t-shirt and Earth Day button in exchange for their time.
Additionally, there will be education and conservation activities for children and families at several parks. The celebration will be documented by a class at Johnson and Wales University who will interview and film participants at each of the cleanups to produce a film about the citywide effort.
Providence Earth Day Spring Cleaning 2014 is planned in collaboration with Serve Rhode Island, the Partnership for Providence Parks, the City of Providence, Johnson and Wales University, USFWS Urban Refuge Partnership, and the Center for Eco-System Restoration.
Volunteers who show their Earth Day Spring Cleaning 2014 buttons are eligible for the following benefits:
• One time free admission to the Roger Williams Park Zoo, Botanical Center, and Natural History Museum
• Free rides on RIPTA April 26 and 27, 2014
• 20% discount at Flatbread company on April 26 and 27, 2014
• Bring in a reusable coffee cup for a free coffee at Seven Stars April 26 and 27, 2014
• Receive 15% off your meal at Uno Chicago Grill (Warwick) on April 26 and 27, 2014
• Receive a discount on groceries at Eastside Marketplace when you use reusable bag and show your button, April 26 and 27, 2014
• The first 100 Earth Day Volunteers to show their button at the WBRU Earth Day Show: Bleacher on April 29th at the Met, get into the show for free.
Providence Earth Day Spring Cleaning 2014 sponsors include Energy Source, 95.5 WBRU, Angie’s Popcorn, Del’s, Eastside Market Place, Flatbread Pizza Company, Honest Tea, Pepsico, RIPTA, Roger Williams Park Zoo, Sam’s Club, Seven Stars Bakery, Sparkling Ice, Uno Chicago Grill, and Whole Foods.
For a full listing of events, including activity details and locations, visit www.providenceparks.org