Mayors Taveras and Fung Co-Host Job Fair for Active Military Personnel, Veterans and Their Families
Fourteenth job fair features more than 500 openings for current and former service members
– Providence Mayor Angel Taveras and Cranston Mayor Allan W. Fung today joined some of Rhode Island’s top military leaders to host a job fair for active military personnel, veterans and their families at the Providence Career and Technical Academy. Dozens of job seekers turned out for over 500 job openings from 90 businesses including CW28.
“It is critical that we support the active military and veterans who have served our nation by ensuring that they have the employment opportunities they need here at home,” said Mayor Taveras. “I am proud to stand with Mayor Fung to help connect our women and men in uniform with the opportunities they deserve.”
“Military Veterans are one of our nation’s most valuable resources and we need to make sure that we secure meaningful employment opportunities for those that have dedicated their lives for our country,” said Mayor Fung. “Once again, I am proud to co-sponsor a military job fair with Mayor Taveras to ensure that our veterans have the opportunity to meet with those employers who are hiring and can transition back into our workforce as smoothly as possible.”
The event began with a ceremony that included Rhode Island Brigadier General Charles E. Petrarca, Jr. and Rhode Island Director of Veterans Affairs Kim Ripoli. Chad McFarlane of the Community College of Rhode Island’s Student Veterans Organization led the Pledge of Allegiance and Hope High School’s Junior ROTC program performed the Posting of Colors.
The job fair was the fourteenth in a series that was launched in February 2013 to target the high unemployment rate among area residents. To date, more than 400 companies have taken part in the series that has drawn over 2000 job seekers.
This event was sponsored by the Offices of Mayor Angel Taveras and Mayor Allan Fung, Workforce Solutions of Providence/Cranston, Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce, Cranston Chamber of Commerce, the RI Broadcasters Association, Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, Hero2Hire, and the Rhode Island Division of Veterans Affairs.
Upcoming job fairs are scheduled for:
• May 14: Hospitality and Tourism (Roger Williams Park Casino)
• June 24: Food Sciences and Culinary Arts Job Fair and Roundtable (PCTA)
• September 10: Technology (Roger Williams Park Casino)
• October 15: Retail (Roger Williams Park Casino)
• November 12: All Industry and Manufacturing (Roger Williams Park Casino)
Pre-register for upcoming events as an employer or job seeker on the City’s website