Judge approves final 38 Studios settlement, Governor set to petition for release of Grand Jury documents
Judge Approves Final 38 Studios Settlement, Governor Set to Petition for Release of Grand Jury Documents
State Police to release agency's non-grand jury documents after review
PROVIDENCE, RI - Following Judge Michael A. Silverstein's approval Friday morning of the final settlement in the 38 Studios civil case, Governor Gina M. Raimondo applauded the efforts to recover $61 million and announced that she will file a petition in Rhode Island Superior Court early next week to release the documents from the grand jury investigation.
Additionally, because the 38 Studios criminal case is now closed, Rhode Island State Police Colonel Ann Assumpico has directed her agency to review and release the non-grand jury documents in the agency's possession. Those documents will be released as soon as a review is complete.
"Rhode Islanders were hurt by 38 Studios. I've fought hard to recover as much taxpayer money as possible and am pleased that Judge Silverstein has approved our last settlement," said Governor Raimondo. "Now that the civil case and criminal case is closed, we should make all the documents available to the public and give the people of our state closure."
"I agree with Governor Raimondo's efforts to support full transparency in the 38 Studios case," said State Police Colonel Ann Assumpico.
Last week, the Rhode Island Commerce Corporation announced it had agreed to a $16 million settlement with Hilltop Securities Inc. (formerly First Southwest Company) in the 38 Studios litigation. In all, the state obtained settlements totaling approximately $61 million.
Governor Raimondo has long said that she believes Rhode Islanders have a right to know what happened in 38 Studios and announced months ago that she would petition the court to release the grand jury documents as soon as the civil case was complete.
(release from Governor's Office)