YWCA announces Fantastic Girltastic Code Company Challenge
Mentors to work with 30 Middle School Girls in a day filled with code instruction, fun and friendship during YWCA Fantastic Girltastic Code Company Challenge, in partnership with Bryant University, and Amica Insurance
Smithfield, Rhode Island - Local professional women in partnership with Bryant University Students will mentor 30 Girls in the basics of coding during YWCA Fantastic Girltastic Code Company Challenge on Saturday, April 1, 2017 at Bryant University, 1150 Douglas Pike, Smithfield.
What will happen during the day:
• Introduction to Binary Code.
• Learn about Women in Computer Science
• Tour the Inside of a Computer
• Understand the Hardware of a Computer and How Computers Transmit and Store Information
• Introduction to Careers in Computer Science.
• Hackathon with Scratch Programming Language
• Make a Binary Code Necklace
What is The Fantastic Girtastic Code Company:
The Fantastic Girltastic Code Company™ is a program of YWCA Rhode Island that is designed to make computer sciences relevant, cool, hip and exciting in an effort to educate, inspire and equip girls to pursue careers in computer sciences.
The approach includes code instruction, female role models and mentors, connections to colleges and universities, and access to industry leaders.
Mentoring to increase Girls Participation in STEM:
YWCA Rhode Island and partners are part of Million Women Mentors® (MWM), a national movement that is leading the effort to increase the interest and confidence of girls and young women to persist and succeed in STEM programs and careers through the engagement of one million women and men as mentors by the year 2019.
The goals of MWM include:
1. Increase the percentage of U.S. high school girls planning to pursue STEM careers.
2. Increase the percentage of U.S. young women pursuing undergraduate degrees in STEM fields in higher education.
3. Increase the percentage of U.S. women staying and advancing in STEM careers through supporting workforce-mentoring programs.
Women from Bryant University, Amica Insurance and YWCA Rhode Island, along with 15 Bryant University students will serve as program mentors.
Mission of YWCA Rhode Island:
YWCA Rhode Island is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women, stand up for social justice, help families, and strengthen communities. We are one of the oldest and largest women's organizations in Rhode Island, providing services for over 149 years.
The mission of Bryant University is to educate and inspire students to discover their passion and become innovative leaders with character around the world.
The mission of Amica Insurance is to mission is to create peace of mind and build enduring relationships.
For more details about the program contact YWCA Rhode Island at 401-769-7450.
(release from YWCA)