Top 30 is now on The CW Providence weeknights at 10pm! It's all of the day's top news, entertainment and weather stories in 30 minutes! Plus, some unique local stories too!
TOP 30 chronicles the day’s top 30 news stories in 30 minutes. Honest, straightforward and without an agenda, we are an aggregation of world news, local
news, sports entertainment and pop culture and whatever is being reported on across the globe.
Friday, September 29th's top stories:
• JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS CANCER: “Veep” star Julia Louis-Drefyus announced on Thursday she has been diagnosed with cancer, saying “1 in 8 women get breast cancer… today, I’m the one."
• CHRISTIE BRINKLEY’S DAUGHTER SHINES: Following in her famous mother’s footsteps, Sailor Brinkley Cook will grace the pages of next year’s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, a feat which mom Christie achieved nine times.
• ALL TIME HIGH FOR STD’S: In a new report, the Centers for Disease Control says the number of STD’s in the US has grown for the third year in a row to new record highs.
• HOMETOWN STORIES:
o STERLING HEIGHTS, MI: 15-year-old Robert Brown III’s life was saved by a stranger when he had a sudden heart attack.
o PARK COUNTY, CO: Trinity Smith and Sean Nichols saved a dog who had been stuck on the top of a 14,000 foot peak for weeks.
• MOON’S FIRST SPACE STATION: A new partnership between the US and Russia could lead to greater exploration of outer space, trips to mars, and a space station near the moon.
• COOKING STATS: Love to cook? You may be the minority. New research out of Harvard shows only 10% of Americans enjoy cooking, the rest spend an average of $3,000 a year on eating out.
• SARAH JESSICA PARKER TOUR: In partnership with Airbnb, Sarah Jessica Parker will take a shopping and site-seeing walking tour of New York City with some lucky fans.
• CANCER FAKER: Claiming she cured her brain cancer with natural remedies, a 23-year-old has now been ordered to pay a $320,000 fine for making the whole story up.
• CA GAS CAR BAN: According to California’s top climate change regulator, Governor Jerry Brown is considering signing a measure that would ban all gas and diesel cars.
• TIMBERLAKE HALFTIME SHOW: 14-years after taking part in Janet Jackson’s infamous performance, Justin Timberlake is in talks to headline the 2018 Super Bowl halftime show.
• VIRTUAL REALITY SHOPPING: MasterCard and Swarovski have teamed for a virtual reality shopping experience where shoppers will be allowed to make transactions in a completely virtual environment created in a VR headset.
• SUBSTITUTE LINE STANDERS: Placer, a new app, works by matching users with “line-sitters” who get paid to deal with the hassle of holding the user’s place in line.